This post contains affiliate links. I receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Its hard to believe we are already trucking through August – where has this year gone? Around here school starts in less than two weeks and the public pools are already starting to close. Lucky for us we homeschool and have a pool at our apartment and my parents’ pool is a half a block away. We can still enjoy summer for at least another month! One of my favorite parts of summer is all the fresh, bright dishes with fresh veggies.
My little container garden didn’t do so well this year, so I have resigned myself to hitting our local farmer’s market every weekend for some fresh produce. I am a huge sucker for squash of any kind. Zucchini, spaghetti, butternut – I love it all!
If you were more successful than me with your gardening efforts, you many be starting to get more zucchini than you know what to do with, so here is a great recipe to use some of it up!
This dish has a lot of different flavors and textures, and you could add or omit veggies to suit your taste. I like to cook my butternut squash until it is almost mush, but you may like a firmer texture, so adjust cooking times as you see fit.
My kids loved this dish. “Its ummy nummy in my tummy, mom.” I think thats a pretty resounding endorsement. They also licked their bowls clean – this from children who cried when I said there were beans in their tacos.
So head on over to your local farmer’s market and buy as many colorful, flavorful veggies as you can cram into this pasta dish. 🙂
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1" squares
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 summer squash, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 pint roughly chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup coconut milk (canned)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 drop Young Living Basil Essential Oil
- Salt to taste
- Add olive oil and garlic to skillet and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Then add chopped butternut squash, zucchini, and summer squash. Sprinkle with salt and cook with the lid on unto tender, stirring occasionally. In a stock pan, bring salted water to a boil and cook linguine according to package directions. Add tomatoes and sprinkle with a little more salt. Stir and cook until tomatoes are slightly softened. Move contents of the skillet into a large mixing bowl, then put 1 C coconut milk in skillet. Over medium heat add basil essential oil, then parmesan cheese and whisk continuously until cheese is melted. Add the contents of the mixing bowl back into the skillet and stir until incorporated. Serve over linguine.