I have essentially taken the month of October off from blogging because we have been so busy and stressed out, I needed something off of my plate.If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram you already know that for the past 6 weeks we have been in the process of buying our first home!
Two years ago we lost almost everything in a fire. We ended up living in a hotel for a month, and upon moving back into our apartment discovered they had taken over $25,000 in insurance money, but had only replaced the carpet and painted. Mold was creeping up the drywall, which had been soaked from the sprinklers. They refused to make it right, so we were forced to give our notice without knowing where we were going to go.
Through divine intervention we ended up renting a house from a friend of mine. She had moved out of state and had been renting the house to some friends of hers who were moving out just when we needed a place. It seemed everything was falling into place! The day we moved in we were met with a surprise when we opened the front door. The previous tenants had completely trashed the place. We spent weeks painting, cleaning, and hauling away old junk to make the house livable again. We knew she wanted to sell the house a few years down the road, and we always had the option to purchase if we were interested.
A few months ago there was a plumbing issue that needed repair and the conversation came up about buying the house. I knew we weren’t financially in a place where we could afford the house plus all of the repairs it needed, but instead of guessing we decided to sit down with our banker and see where we stood on buying a house. To my surprise, we were easily pre-approved, but the cost of buying the house we were renting were more than we wanted to put into housing. My husband and I started the conversation about when it was the right time to buy, and exactly what we wanted to buy. By staying in our rental we were delaying the owner buying her own home in her new location, and essentially delaying the inevitable. After experiencing being essentially homeless and not knowing where we were going to go after the fire, I never wanted to be put in that position again.
We started doing a little looking online to see what was available. There wasn’t much! I was a bit discouraged, but we finally found a couple of homes that were possibilities, so we requested to see them. We spent a little over a month looking at lots of different houses, but none of them were right for us. I started to think we had maybe jumped the gun on even looking. Our realtor would call us when houses came on the market, but they were selling so quickly we often didn’t even have a chance to look at them.
Finally, when we had literally looked at every house within our price range I started looking back at some of the houses I had dismissed for various reasons. One in particular looked like it might work for us, but it had been on the market for a couple of months, which was unheard of. There had to be something wrong with it! I sent our realtor two houses and asked if she could schedule a showing.
We got to the first house and it was in one of the nicer neighborhoods we had looked in. I was stunned when we walked in and it didn’t have a funky smell (some houses we looked at I wasn’t able to make it past the front door because of the smell!), the rooms were nice sized, there was no real visible issues. My husband barely got through the first floor before he said, “This is it. This is the one.” We went and looked at the second house and it was horrific. It seemed to be further confirmation that the first house was it. We went straight to our realtor’s office and submitted an offer. The sellers had 72 hours to accept or decline, but we heard back the next day that they had accepted our offer. Our realtor set our closing date and we got busy scheduling an inspection, meeting with our banker, and crossing our fingers that the other shoe wouldn’t drop.
Our closing went flawlessly. Everyone told us to expect at least one delay in the closing date, and even our banker was sweating that we only had 35 days to close vs. the traditional 45. Literally every step of the process went without a hitch. God’s hand of provision was so evident every step of the way. Our mortgage was completed almost a full week before the closing date, and so we booked a moving truck and scheduled the utilities to switch into our name.
Then the other shoe dropped.