This post contains affiliate links. I receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
My family has been doing a lot of simplifying these days, and our haircare routines are no exception.
Chemical-free haircare is kind of a misnomer because shampooing itself creates a chemical reaction in the hair (it breaks down the salt bonds in your hair), but there can be some nasty chemicals in those hair products. For a normal person that may not be a huge concern, but I have been a hairstylist for the past 17 years so that means I am exposed to those chemicals many, many times a day.
A couple of the main ingredients you want to avoid in your haircare products are:
- Sulfates – these will read on the ingredient list as “sodium lauryl sulfate,” or “ammonium laureate sulfate.” This is a detergent and a sudsing agent – the same thing used in engine degreaser. Not only will this harsh detergent strip your color and dry out your hair, according to the Environmental Working group it is a moderate hazard that has been linked to everything from cancer to endocrine disruption.
- Parabens – These are used as preservatives in hair products, and even big-name salon brands are removing these from their products. Parabens are serious endocrine disruptors that have been linked to breast cancer.
The performance of products is just as important to me as the ingredients, so it has been really hard to find hair products that fit that bill! Today I am going to share a few with you that I really love.
1. Young Living Lavender Mint Shampoo – I recently completed the paperwork so I can start retailing Young Living hair care in my salon. I love that I can pretty much buy any of their products and not have to worry about the ingredient list, plus this one smells delicious.
2. Deva Care One Condition – I love the whole Deva Curl line and have started using it on mine and my daughter’s hair. The only questionable ingredient in their products is fragrance, which I really can’t say about any other professional salon brand.
3. Deva Care Low Poo – My hair is a curly/wavy mop, and it has never looked better since I started using the Deva Curl line and following their curly hair regimen. It takes some getting used to when your shampoo doesn’t really suds, but the results are well worth it!
4. Dr. Bronner’s Liquid Castile Soap – We use this for everything! From body wash, to cleaner, to my husband’s hair! I try to keep as few bottles in the shower as possible, so this is the ultimate multitasker. If you are bored while your conditioner is sitting in your hair, read the bottle. That dude was crazy! But at least he cranked out some good Castile soap!
5. Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel – It has been really hard for me to find any chemical-free styling products that I like, but this one is a regular in my hair. The con is that you have to use quite a bit, but the pro is frizz-free, defined curls without carcinogenic ingredients.
6. Young Living Rosemary and Cedarwood Essential Oils – Everyone knows I am into essential oils and a lot ask me if I use any in my hair. These two are the main ones I reach for. I like to take some coconut oil and rosemary and scrunch it into dry hair, leave it for about 30 minutes, and shampoo it out for a moisture mask of sorts. It leaves my hair crazy shiny and soft. Cedar wood has been my go-to while trying to let my over-tweezed eyebrows fill in, since it encourages hair growth!
So those are some of my favorites, do you have any to add to the list?
*this post contains affiliate links